We’ll be holding our very first competition, October 22nd-26th!
It’s also a fundraiser, so even if you aren’t the most competitive type, come on out to help build the community, have fun, maybe win some prizes, and contribute to the co-op! Everyone and all abilities are welcome.
Scroll down to learn more about how the competition will work.
Scramble style. Bouldering only. 28 new problems will be set in the bouldering area, but no grades will be posted. Each problem is worth one point. Climbers climb whenever they want, and use the honour system to check off which problems they complete on a publicly posted score card.
Climb as much as you can during the 5 days, and the top 3 climbers in each age category with the most points after adjusting for handicaps wins! Climbing starts at 3pm on Tuesday the 22nd, and ends at 7pm Saturday the 26th.
There will be two age categories, 15- and 16+. Each climber registers in their respective ability level, beginner (climbing up to 2pt problems but very rarely climbing 3pts), intermediate (climbing 3pts but very rarely 4pts), advanced (climbing 4pts, very rarely 5pts), expert (climbing 5pts).
Using a handicap system, all climbers will compete in the same pool, so regardless of your ability level, anyone has the chance to win (or lose!).
$15 early entry up until October 5th.
$20 standard. To register, simply head to the co op pay in cash, give your name or a pseudonym, age, and desired category.
Three prizes for each age category.
- 1st prize: 2 months free! (single membership)
- 2nd: Local gift card package + gift pack from sponsors.
- 3rd: Gift pack from sponsors.
Door prizes from sponsors during closing party.
50/50 raffle tickets will be sold all week ,with the winner announced/posted during the final party (if you’re not there, prize can be claimed later). You don’t have to compete to buy a ticket, so spread the word, buy tickets for friends, start an office pool, and get those tickets! All proceeds from entry feeds go directly to the co-op.
Saturday the 26th will be the last day of climbing. Winners will be announced at 7:00pm. Door prizes throughout the night. Also, costume party! Best costume wins a prize as well!
Climbing brands: Flashed, Sattva
Local sponsors: to be announced
- Do I have to be a co-op member? No, but you would need to pay for drop ins or a punch card to climb, the registration fee is just to enter the comp.
- If I’m a member, can I climb and get points during members only hours? Yup! Climb as much as you can – it’s an honour system, so just follow the rules posted on the score card.
- Do I have to climb all 5 days? No – but the more days you can climb the more points you’re likely to accumulate.
- What if I can’t be there for the closing party? We’ll miss you, and you can’t win any door prizes, but if you place in the comp or win the 50/50 we will be posting the winners so prizes can be claimed after. However, if you place and tie with someone else who happens to be there, you won’t be able to compete in the sudden death tie breaker.
Note to members:
We will be CLOSED for member access on the 20th, 21st, and morning of 22nd for prepping.